History of the Programme
The Religious Formation Ministry Programme was established in Ireland in 1982. The initiative was taken by the Conference of Religious of Ireland (then known as the Conference of Major Religious Superiors). It came into being in response to the need to prepare religious women and men and for the ministry of formation of new members and for leadership roles in their Congregations/Societies/Dioceses. However, a significant number of religious also availed of the Programme for personal renewal or to discern future ministry during a time of transition.
As the number of international participants increased the sponsorship of the Programme was taken over by the Irish Missionary Union in 1998. It offers a valuable resource to its members, many of whom are in the process of handing over responsibility for formation, leadership and projects to local members of the Congregation /Society abroad.
In 2016, CORI and AMU came together to form a new body called AMRI, Association of Leaders of Missionaries and Religious of Ireland. AMRI is now the sponsoring body of the Religious Formation Missionary Programme.
|Programme locations since inception in 1982|
|1982 - 1997||Carysfoot School campus in Blackrock, Dublin|
|1997 - 1999||Dominican Priory in Tallaght, Dublin|
|1999 - 2005||Mill Hill campus, Dartry, Dublin|
|2005 - the present||Willow Park School campus, Blackrock, Dublin|
RFM, Willow Park School Campus
From the beginning the course welcomed applicants from any part of the world, though the majority in the early years were Irish born. To date 1001 participants have graduated.
See details of each of the year groups on the Participants page